TRUTH

Error, indeed, is never set forth in its naked deformity, lest, being thus exposed, it should at once be detected. But it is craftily decked out in an attractive dress, so as, by its outward form, to make it appear to the inexperienced (ridiculous as the expression may seem) more true than the truth itself. - Irenaeus



Thursday, May 16, 2019

The Rock ain't Peter

Who is the Rock?
So this is what the Lord GOD says: "See, I lay a stone in Zion, a tested stone, a precious cornerstone, a sure foundation; the one who believes will never be shaken. (Isa, 28:16)
According to Roman tradition
 Peter is the rock and  foundation of the church. 
 But what does the bible say?
Throughout the bible the rock is actually God.  A few examples make it clear.  In the Song of Moses (Deu. 32:4) we read, "The Rock!  His work is perfect."  This is certainly not something we could say about Peter who was prone to jumping to conclusions and being carried away by peer pressure.  Apostle Paul had to rebuke him publicly for hypocrisy (Gal. 2:11)  Who did apostle Paul say was the rock? "and all drank the same spiritual drink, for they were drinking from a spiritual rock which followed them; and the rock was Christ" (1 Cor. 10:4).  So neither Moses or Paul thought Peter was the Rock.


Psalm 62:1-2
"My soul waits in silence for God only; from Him is my salvation.
He only is my rock and my salvation, my stronghold; I shall not be greatly shaken."

Notice that God is our salvation, not the church.
A Psalm of David reads, "The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge." (2 Samuel 22:2-3, Psalm 18:2)

Those that prefer Peter as their rock apparently do not read the Old Testament or care what it says.  When one places there faith in a church or person rather than Christ they are setting themselves up for a painful disappointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment